Plans for next version of Update-Accelerator 3.0 (for IPFire 3.x)
This page is for sharing ideas of new functions and improvements of the Squid-Addon "Update Accelerator".
- The current Version have some missing features and use for example not the best way of storing metadata.
- Adding sources and maintaining existing sources is only possible over console / SSH, nor easy to backup and is not update-safe while an system-upgrade.
- While a filecheck run / calling statistics- or maintain-page in webui, there is a huge IO-Load on the system, caused by the way of storing the metadata of each updatefile (filebased)
- Adding / Changeing new Vendors and or their grafics is only possible over console / SSH
- No precheck if a RegEx is correct for a new source, which cause to stop Squid at all.
- No precheck if a RegEx is already defined
- Updates are always downloaded twice, when new
- Updates, which masquerades special chars with f.e. %20 are not correctly stored in the update cache and caused to always reload the updates
- No option to select the way to check when a file is "old", as example to select filesize and/ or filetime
Any Requirements / Ideas for new version:
- ICAP-based interface to Squid instead of current redirector
- Storing metadata of update files in a file-DB(sqllite) or via DB-Interface (Postgress / MySQL ?)
- Storing vendors / sources in a file-DB(sqllite) or via DB-Interface
- Extending the web-ui to add the possibility to add new vendors / sources / grafics
- Including prechecks of entered RegEx if they are working in general and matching some example urls
- Including prechecks if RegEx is allready defined
- Including an assistant to build RegEx ?
- Double load isn't avoidable. The requester cannot wait until the caching download has finished.
- Sorting the file-list by all Metadata (Status/Vendor/Filename/Filesize/LastAccess)
- Adaptive sorting of the vendor list based on usage. If you test the most used sources first you an improvement in speed.
- Compiling of all source URI's and RE's to one RE. This speeds up scanning. This can be done by Perl module outside update accelerator similiar to languages update.
- Definitions can be stored in files named
I thought of the definitions to import of course - bebima )
- Categories should be named "sources" and not "vendors", if we step to a more general file cache
(Good point - nightshift)
Software / Version
- Python / ??
- Squid / ??
- nginx / ?? ( is this not oversized? )
- Perl / >5.10
- Perl module Regex::Assemble for compiling URI's of a "vendor"
Please extend the above list, if you have a requirement or idea for the new version wich is not listed here.